In spring I started a sea blanket with leftover yarn from a number of baby blankets I made. It was going to be a simple square blanket, with a V-stripe pattern. However, after a number of stripes I just… got bored with it. Where I’ve loved making big, relatively simple blankets before, with granny stripes or a ripple pattern, this particular pattern started to really bore me.
So what better to do than to take it all out and start over? To get rid of any boredom, I decided I was just going to make something up as I went a long. A fantasy pattern, if you will, constantly varying the stitches used.
I didn’t want to do stripes again, because I’m actually not sure how much yarn I have and how big I can get it. So I decided to start in the middle. It is still going to be a square blanket (to fit on our bed), I think. But thinking of patterns like flower granny squares or Sophie’s universe, I decided I might as well start in the round. It’s not that difficult to work up to a square at, well, any point during the blanket.
So far, I haven’t looked up stitches to try out, so anything you see here was made up as I went along. It can be kind of annoying, because since I’m working in the round, I sometimes end up with a row that’s too wide or too tight, messing up my flat circle. So I have to pull it all out again and start the row over.
It’s fun, though, and I’m enjoying it so much more than the previous pattern.
Can you find the changes I made to the pattern in the different pictures?
Kim is enjoying the blanket work again. She loves sleeping next to me while I’m crocheting. And lying down on whatever it is I’m crocheting whenever I put it on the floor near her *grin*
Beside the blanket, I was also working on some sort of crochet top. This one I’m also making up as I go along. I was working on a very simple pattern for another top, but that one also got me bored. So I decided to switch the stitches up and frame it in simple rows of double crochets.
This is actually quite enjoyable too. I suppose I’ll be able to wear it over a bright coloured top on cooler summer days. That is, if I ever finish it, because I’m not sure I’ve got enough yarn…
I decided to repeat some patterns to make the top a bit more coherent.
Doesn’t look much like a top, yet, does it… I’m curious what it’s going to look like when it’s finished.